Monday, April 22, 2013

Lemon Tea 相思蛋糕



This month AB theme is Tea, and I do see alot of other food bloggers made very nice Xiang Si Cakes. So I thought, why not bake a Lemon Tea Xiang Si Cake? This is my first attempt to bake Xiang Si Cake, I like how the cake melt in my mouth and how the aroma of Lemon Tea linger in my mouth.

I picked up some useful tips from The Little Teochew and I used this recipe As reference with some moderation:

I used 5.5 inch round silicon pan and make 4 cupcakes.

Ingredients:
1 Dilmah Lemon Tea bag in 20ml hot water
35ml canola oil
20ml milk
¼ tsp salt
3 egg yolk
1/2 lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
40 g cake flour

3 egg white
60g caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar

Method:
1. Mix tea with milk and oil. Set aside.
2. Beat egg yolk, salt and abit of sugar. Mix in Mixture 1, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir till frothy.
3. Preheat oven to 150°C and put tart case with water at 4 corners of another tray on lower rack. This is to prepare for steam bake later.
4. Sift in cake flour in mixture 2 and mix well, set aside.
5. Using electric mixer, beat egg white with cream of tartar and castor sugar till stiff peak.
6. (Cover the pan loosely with foil with holes) - I did not follow this step as I think my oven is not as powerful and it will not burn the top layer.
7. Steam bake at 150°C for 50 mins or until skewer comes out completely dry.
8. I leave the cake in the oven for 30 min with oven door slightly open. So that the cakes will not collapse too quickly due to the sudden change of temperature.
9. Invert pan onto a cake rack and allow it to cool completely.

P.S: as I know my oven is not that powerful so before I take the cake out I adjust to upper fire for few minutes, To have a nice brown top layer. maybe the heat was too strong, The center top layer become abit burn...

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #30: It's Tea Time!(Apr 2013) hosted By Food playground.



No comments:

Post a Comment