Sunday, April 28, 2013

Yuan Yang Chiffon Cake


Although for this AB #30 theme, I did mention coffee is not allowed(this is to distinct the characteristic of tea and also to highlight the theme). But for this Chiffon Cake, I still use Tea as the key ingredient, just added coffee, means it become another concoction: yuan yang (鸳鸯). Guess this is passable?

Beside just Tea or Coffee, Yuan Yang has become a popular drink in HK and lately in Singapore. So I thought, why not marry these 2 ingredients to make chiffon cake today?

I like to drink Kopi Si and Teh Si, that is why i used Evaporated milk. For this Yuan Yang Si concoction, I used Dilmah Supreme Ceylon Tea bag and 1 Tsp of Jed's Coffee Co. freeze dried instant coffee(Strong). I got this instant coffee(thanks to Carlyn from Sixth Sense) from Cold Storage during the New Zealand Fair(16-22 Apr 13). Obviously this product is from NZ and You can still get this product from now till 12 May 13 at 47 Cold Storage Stores in Singapore. (see below)


So far, this is the most successful chiffon cake that i made!! This cake has the airy and light texture that i always want to achieve. I am very happy with the result. It sure give me more confident to make more Chiffon cake.

In terms of the taste, I like how the cake give out strong coffee aroma when it was out of the oven and I like how the tea encompassed the cake. The recipe I followed is from SSB and I did some modification:

Ingredients:
2 egg yolks
10g caster sugar
1 Dilmah Supreme Ceylon Tea Bag
1 tbsp instant coffee powder (I used Jed's Coffee Co. Coffee)
5 tsp milk (I used Evaporated Milk)
50ml hot water
20ml cooking oil (I used Canola oil)
50g self-raising flour

2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
50g caster sugar

Method:
1. Stir instant coffee powder in hot water, with milk and tea bag until all well mixed.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar till slightly pale.
3. Add yuan yang mixture and oil into the egg yolk batter. Fold in the flour.
4. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture is foamy. Gradually add in sugar and beat until stiff peak form.
5. Gently fold beaten egg white into egg yolk batter until blended in 3 batches.
6. Pour batter into ungreased chiffon mould. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for the 1st 10 minutes, then reduce to 170 deg C for the next 30 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and invert cake immediately until it is completely cool (I let it rest in oven for 5 minutes with door slightly open before invert, in case the cake shrink).
8. Cool completely before remove cake from mould and serve.

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #30: It's Tea Time!(Apr 2013) hosted By Food playground.


2 comments:

  1. 你好,对不起,之前是我忘了要Mail 你我的图片和资料,过后我的电脑拿去修里,店家到今天都还没弄好,现在只能用电话上网:(( 真的很抱歉。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks qie zi for this reply. If you allowed, I will take the picture from your blog. And help doing the necessary. Thanks!

      Delete